Monday, August 13, 2012

Batman Versus the Ninja


                In a battle of the warriors, who wins, Batman or the Ninja?  Both have stealth on their side, cool weapons, and great fight moves.  And they both have their very own roller coasters at Six Flags St. Louis. 
                Today, a friend and I played hooky (okay, so we responsibly put in for vacation a few weeks ago) and went to get our adrenaline fix at Six Flags.  It was a perfect day to be in the park.  The weather was cool with a bit of overcast and schools are starting up, so while there were kids there, the park didn’t feel overrun. 
                Wanting to get the most out of our rather pricy tickets (plus parking fees) we arrived at opening, and, relatively methodically, went around the park riding different roller coasters.  Okay, so we also threw in a carrousel, some water rides, and this fantastic swing ride, but we were there for the roller coasters.
                Our first ride was American Thunder, a wooden roller coaster with some steep drops, but even better were the tight, tight corners.  I’ll admit that perhaps my choice of pancakes and bacon at the Cracker Barrel was perhaps not the best choice before getting on this ride.  However, the second time around (after my breakfast had some time to settle), it was awesome.  Distinctly awesome.
                Next up was Batman, a loop-de-loop of a ride, where your feet dangle in the open air while you sail up and down and around and around in an awesome corkscrew.  Coming into the platform, the ride leaves you dizzy from the spinning and high from an adrenaline rush rarely equaled.  Coming off the ride, the only thing I wanted to do was turn around and get right back on it. 

                Sadly, compared to Batman, the Ninja was a disappointment.  It still had some fun loop-de-loops, but I guess that a few throwing stars can’t compare to the bat mobile.  For future reference, I’ll ride the Ninja first and then get on the Batman, or maybe just put a few more rides between the two.  Don’t get me wrong, the Ninja is an awesome roller coaster, it just didn’t give me the same rush.
                The Screamin’ Eagle, another wooden roller coaster, is apparently the oldest roller coaster in the park.  At first it reminded me of Zingo from the (now defunct) Bell’s Amusement Park in Tulsa.  However, I think that it must be Zingo’s big brother.  The ride had bounce and roll that viscerally reminded me of Zingo, but it went on and on.  Where some of the rides were over all too quickly, this one allowed the pleasure of the ride to be fully realized before the ride came to the end.
                If I were to rank my favorite rides of the day, the last roller coaster we rode would be #2 behind Batman.  The Boss, so rightly named, is at the pinnacle of his career.  Or perhaps the pinnacle of his first hill sets up the ride for an exhilarating race up and down some of the most amazing hills of the day.  It was another ride where as soon as I got off the only thing I wanted to do was get in line again.
                Sadly, the day had to come to an end, and we didn’t get to ride either the Pandemonium or Mr. Freeze.  However, both looked like they were worth making another day’s trip to Six Flags; even if they don’t turn out to be super cool rides, Batman and the Boss will more than make up for it.

2 comments:

  1. Too cool for you. Not for me. I will go with you, hold the camera and ride the swings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll skip Six Flags and go find us another zip line. :)

    ReplyDelete