Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Walk Through Lafayette Park

A few weeks ago, I spent an afternoon wandering around Lafayette Park.  In size, you can walk from one side of Lafayette Park to the other in a few minutes, passing statues, ducks, and lawns begging for picnic blankets.  In gardens, Lafayette Park can be made into a whole day's outing.  There are two distinct garden areas in the park.  The first is a tree lined garden walk that is bordered with black eyed susans and chunks of crystal encrusted limestone.  The second is larger series of flower beds that follows the stream that flows out from the park's pond.

In addition to the gardens, they have several statues, and three Revolutionary War era canons that were dredged up from the Charleston Harbor.  And of course, the park is surrounded by gorgeous old houses.

The afternoon that I was there was typically hot, and there were not many people out enjoying the park.  However, in milder weather, the park must be filled with people throwing frisbees, flying kites, and having picnics.  As with many of the local neighborhoods, Lafayette Park has a series of outdoor concerts, and even sponsors movie nights.  Later this summer, they are showing Madagascar.



I always love the black-eyed susans.  Even when all the other wildflowers seem to have given up, their perky blossoms line the road side in swathes of yellow.






It is worth your while to click on the rock above and see the crystals.  When I first saw the rocks lining the flower beds, I thought to myself, oh, more limestone.  Then the abundant crystal formations glittered in the sunlight. 



These are one of two flowers that every time I see them, I remember one of my girlfriends back in Alaska.  Her garden always featured beautiful tiger lilies and hostas. 




The swan spent the better part of an hour grooming itself.  I know, I watched.  However, given how green the water was, I can only imagine the ick that it needed to get out of its feathers. 





 I was delighted to find this hosta in bloom, again thinking of my Alaskan friend.







2 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos. Loved the Swan and the flowers are always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swans were fun to watch. There were four at the pond, and all of them were sitting next to the water grooming. The water really was a green as it is in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete