Sunday, May 6, 2012

There Were No Aliens at Area 51


Let me start this by stating that there were no Aliens at Area 51.  I looked.  I was hoping.  I didn’t even find a good conspiracy theory to go along with it, unless you count the Jack Russell Terrier that was busy inspecting all of the merchandise before it could be put into the display cases.  However, if you are looking for a glass pipe, a hookah, or one of those off color t-shirts that Spike wears in Notting Hill, Area 51 is your store.

There is nothing wrong with head shops, as long as you don’t inhale.  However, this particular store does not have the eclectic fun of Oz in Tulsa, or the humorously skanky clothing of The Look in Anchorage.  There are no beaded curtains, no psychedelic posters, and it has a nonexistent selection of Alien paraphernalia.  They did have a nice selection of incense, some interesting candle holders, and a precocious Jack Russell Terrier.  But I think I will have to keep looking to find my new source for conspiracy theorists, brass candle sticks, and miscellaneous kitsch that never quite seems to find a home in my home, but I buy anyway.

In my disappointment, I digress from the important part of this post— hamburgers and fries.


I have now found two restaurants where I can get delicious burgers and fries. 

The first is Five Guys Burgers and Fries.  They serve delicious hot hamburgers, made to order and fast along with homemade French fries.  I didn’t actually check out the kitchen, but I am pretty sure that the fries are cut fresh, and they were definitely not put under a heat lamp until served.  I had to eat my hamburger first, the fries were so hot.  As for the hamburger, when you don’t have the option of grilling up your own, it is the closest thing to heaven.  Apparently, Five Guys is a national chain, but hey, I’ve been living in the wilds of Alaska for the last ten years; we were just thrilled to have a Dairy Queen.

I found the second burger place yesterday after I was hit with a case of the munchies following my visit to Area 51 (hey, it was 3pm and I’d skipped lunch!).  The Kirkwood Station Restaurant and Brewing Co. is a local restaurant and bar off of Kirkwood Road.  They had live music set up on the outdoor patio during the afternoon.  Many people took advantage of the beautiful weather by sitting out and enjoying the sunshine and brew.  While I can’t speak to the brew, I can say that my Basil Pesto Burger was delicious.  It came out medium-rare, just like I like it, and the steak fries were all the starchy goodness that a steak fry should be.  Not to mention that the open air patio offered lots of opportunity to people watch while enjoying the music.

So, while there may not be Aliens at Area 51, we at least have confirmation that good burgers can be found in St. Louis. 


Area 51: 6925 Gravois Avenue  St. Louis, MO 63116
Kirkwood Station Brewing Co.: http://kirkwoodstationbrewing.com/
Five Guys Burgers and Fries: http://www.fiveguys.com/

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could tell you the last time I was in Oz, it is truely a one of a kind type of place. One of these days, we just need to fly to Tulsa for a reunion marked with sausage burgers and jalepeno fries and odd and funky stores that only exist in Tulsa....

    ReplyDelete