Sunday, April 29, 2012

Winning is in the Cards



                Sometimes, the best thing you can do is make another person happy – even if just for a few hours.
                Last week, the CEO of my firm gave me his tickets to the Cardinals- well sort of.  When he doesn’t use his tickets, he raffles them off within the firm and I won.  This is a small miracle in and of itself since I didn’t put my name in the hat because I didn’t think I would have someone to go with.  After a bit of confusion and angst, I realized that I am a resourceful and capable person; I could find someone to go with.  In fact, there was that nice guy over on the trading desk…
                To make a long story short, at 6:15 on Friday evening I headed to the MetroLink station with the nice guy from trading, who for the purposes of this, we’ll call Frank.  Despite a rainy afternoon, the sky was clear blue- perfect for a walk through downtown Clayton.  Frank and I made good time and arrived at the MetroLink station just at the train was arriving.  We raced across a foot bridge and down some steps to catch it just as the doors were closing.  Our perfect timing at the Metro station was rewarded when we arrived at Busch Stadium just as they were singing the National Anthem. 
                We collected our free t-shirts and made our way down to our seats.  I’d been told that they were great seats, but I didn’t believe it until we were sitting there.  We were just off the third base line, seven rows back from the dugout.  The sunset lit up the Arch just to the left of the scoreboard.  We were close enough to the field to hear the ball when it hit the catcher’s mitt.  The whole time, Frank kept up a running commentary about the Stadium and local area.  He apparently loves coming to ball games, even though he isn’t a rabid sports fanatic – which made him a perfect companion.  His biggest excitement about the game was getting to have Nachos. 
                The game started off with a groan when the Milwaukee Brewers got the first run of the game.  That didn’t last long.  The Cardinals came back with a vengeance in the second inning.  Halfway through the top of the third inning, the Brewers replaced their starting pitcher, which is apparently a very, very bad thing.  The poor guy walked off the field with his shoulders slumped in defeat.  At the end of the third inning, the Cardinals were winning 10-1.  Frank made the observation that at least in Basketball and Football if you are getting stomped by your opposition, the clock will eventually run out; in Baseball, an inning runs as long as it has to.
                Frank held out through the fourth and part way through the fifth innings before he finally broke down and went to get Nachos.  The salty crunchiness of the chips, combined with the velvety gooiness of the cheese and tangy jalapenos made the wait worth it.  No beer, no pretzels or hotdogs, just Nachos, that was all that was needed to make that evening complete- especially for Frank who was more excited to be there than the little kids in the stands with us.
                While it was obvious that the Brewers weren’t going to stage a comeback, we stayed until the sweet end of the game, complete with fireworks! 
                In the end, I am so happy that I invited Frank to share the evening with me.  He was an easy companion to talk to and hang out with, and he was so thrilled to go to the game, that I can’t imagine anyone else appreciating it more than him.

No comments:

Post a Comment