Sunday, March 4, 2012

Where To Call Home?


For the next couple of weeks, I just get to daydream about St. Louis.  I’m reading different bucket lists of things to do, places to go, and where to eat.  This simply whets my appetite for my new hometown.  But the biggest question on my mind these days is “Where am I going to live?”

The neighborhoods have more flavors than Baskin Robbins, and housing prices stretch from the jaw droppingly low to the eye poppingly high.  Knowing that I would like to live within 20 minutes of Forest Park narrows the field a bit...  University City, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Maplewood, Clayton, Ladue, Webster Groves; these are all names of communities that I am becoming familiar with – at least in the online space. 

A quick search on Zillow reveals this lovely donut of affordability that centers around Clayton and Ladue.  I guess that the old adage of “location, location, location” is alive and well.  And I must admit that the properties in Clayton and Ladue are beautiful – large old brownstones with great landscaping, newer homes with enormous yards, lovely parks nearby, and I’m sure great schools.

Then you have University City, with charming old houses in intimate streets.  With the universities nearby, you have a youthful culture running through the neighborhoods.  Or take a look at Richmond Heights, with its quiet neighborhoods with funny garages that seem to be part of the basement rather than an addition to the house.  I’m not sure, but those driveways seem an awkward way to start my weekend rides…

Once you get familiar with the names of the cities, you suddenly discover that there are these community lines that cross cities, or take up small neighborhoods within a city.  Again each has its own character and personality.  My favorite (by name) is Dog Town.  It seems to be most well known for its St. Patty’s day parade and Imo’s pizza.  It is also nearby the Turtle Playground.  The homes in this area seem to be smaller, closer together, and not built with the idea of cars in mind. 

Still though, I haven’t even figured out the key questions for what kind of home I want.  An apartment with a pool?  A condo close to my office?  A brownstone with a lot of character, but perhaps limited parking?  All of these questions feed into where I find a place to live.  In the end though, however much I may daydream, until I am on the ground, there is no telling where I will end up setting up a cat tree, rocking chair and reading lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment