Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Breakfast in a Greenhouse


Following the advice of one of my Alaskan friends, when I wanted to find a new place for breakfast this last weekend, I Googled “Best Breakfast in St. Louis”.  I located a listing for a restaurant that was located (I thought) about a ten minute drive from my apartment.  It’s description immediately brought to mind The Middle Way Cafe in Anchorage through use of key words such as “organic” and “locally grown”.  Nostalgic for a bit of home, my Mom and I headed over to the Cafe Osage.

Now, recall that I have been a resident of St. Louis for all of four days at this point.  My ten minute drive turned into more of a twenty minute adventure with an unanticipated trip on to I-64, a missed turn at Lindell (which really wasn’t a missed turn) and a quick stop to consult my IPhone’s map to figure out just where in tarnation I was. 

After driving along a section of Delmar that is best described as a rougher neighborhood, we were delighted to discover the cafe was in a beautiful old building in a neighborhood that is slowly being reinvigorated.  Having personally expected a place with the bustling energy and modern hippie feeling of Middle Way, I was thrilled to find a cafe that had a refined but delightfully unique personality.

The Cafe Osage is a small restaurant attached to the Bowood Farms greenhouse.   The entrance is actually located inside the greenhouse, and there is seating inside the restaurant, inside the greenhouse, and outside in a courtyard.  The building has large windows that let in a lot of natural light and fabulous transom windows between the restaurant and greenhouse.  It is a white napkin, full service restaurant, and most of the patrons seemed to be there for breakfast dates with friends. 

While you can certainly get two eggs over easy, with bacon and toast, who would want to when there are interesting sounding variations on classics such as cheddar chive biscuits with gravy made from creamed chicken, mushrooms, and leeks.  Mom and I are both suckers for chocolate, and when we discovered that the whole grain pancakes were served with raspberry compote with white chocolate sauce, we were sold.  The pancakes were as delicious as anticipated, and Mom and I contemplated the probability of finishing off the generous servings.  In the end, we succumbed to the sweet raspberry compote and cleaned our plates.


At the end of the meal, the check was presented to us inside an old library book enigmatically titled Drink and Be Sober.  This unique touch sealed Cafe Osage as one of my favorite new places in St. Louis.  


No comments:

Post a Comment