Monday, March 25, 2013

Saint Louis Zoo


Saturday I finally found myself at the St. Louis Zoo.  I was there with three other gals for a photography class with STL Photo Art.  Our instructor, Brian, was a great guy, with a good sense of humor and boundless patience for teaching a subject that he clearly loves.  I came away from the class with a new appreciation for my camera and all of the fun things I can do with it.

After the class, I only had about an hour to wander around which was not nearly enough time to see anything at all, but I did find the herpetarium (which I skipped) and the primate house, which was very busy with visitors and students.  Somehow, I missed the big cats, but now that I know that I can find free parking if I get there early, I will be back to find the lions and cheetahs. 

Taking pictures with my recent class in mind, it was curious how so much of what we talked about was simply a reframing of what I have been doing for years.  I just didn’t think about my choices for shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc in those terms.  It was also funny in that as I tried to switch gears I kept falling back to my old habits. 

For your viewing pleasure, here are my favorites from my short walk through the St. Louis Zoo.











Resources:
Saint Louis Zoo: http://www.stlzoo.org/

2 comments:

  1. I love the smiling croc. As usual, your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was some kid standing next to me who told it to "Move!" and amazingly, it got up and walked three steps forward before laying back down again.

    ReplyDelete