Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Bit of Cool and Missourians Pull Out the Winter Coats...


                With a bit of nip in the air, my new hometown has decided that the cold has arrived, and they should bundle up in parkas, scarves, and mittens.  I must say that I get some odd looks running around in sleeveless shirts because it just isn’t cold enough yet to admit defeat to autumn.  But yes, I have also pulled out my sweatshirts, my fun ponchos, and all the wonderful fall clothing that I got weird looks wearing in summer in Alaska, but fall was too cold to enjoy them.
                Out into a cool, but sunny, autumn afternoon I ventured yesterday.  At the Botanical Gardens, they were hosting a “Best of Missouri” festival, with local restaurants, crafters, and vintners selling their products.  The festival was packed with people, to the point that moving from one booth to the next was akin to being caught in a river current.  You couldn’t stop if you wanted to in some places.  There was live music perfect for dancing, and a kids’ craft area back near the amphitheater.  The photo is from the food area, which was not quite as crammed with people.  
                Honestly though, the best part for me was the excuse to go walk through the gardens again.  Even with fall here, it was a riot of color with flowers in bloom, trees turning color, and all of the statuary again in prominence after the Lantern Festival. 
Parking hint for next year during the Best of Missouri – just give up on finding parking to begin with, park down at the back end of the garden by Tower Grove Park and walk.  It is a lovely neighborhood full of old houses, and the parking near the front of the garden is an absolute nightmare for this particular event.

Missouri Botanical Gardens: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/






2 comments:

  1. I always want to be where you were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed having you there. You would really have enjoyed the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete