Monday, September 24, 2012

The Ultimate Chocolate Experience


Everyone knows that when you get that craving on a Saturday afternoon for a bit of chocolate, it can easily be satisfied with a Hershey’s bar from the local QuikTrip, when you want to make the stockings a bit upscale at Christmas, you throw in a Lindt milk chocolate Santa, and when you want to spoil your Mom, you bring her a box of Godivas (or sometimes, she spoils you and buys you both chocolate covered strawberries...).
However, here in St. Louis, when you want to do Chocolate right, there is Bissinger’s.
Saturday, a girl friend and I decided to have a bit of dessert before we started on an evening of dancing until our feet hurt.  Having consulted my favorite concierge, Google, I discovered that there is a Bissinger’s shop in the Central West End.  In addition to making some of the smoothest dark chocolate you will ever experience, they have a café that serves a variety of desserts. 
We found a parking spot conveniently located close to the dance club, and walked over to the Bissinger’s.  (If you haven’t spent time in Central West End, let me assure you that this is a fun walk, with lots of people out enjoying the local restaurants and hip shops.)
Stepping into Bissinger’s is akin to walking into the Tiffany’s of chocolate shops.  The counter is lined with delectable looking truffles and boxes of tasty delights.  I’m pretty sure that I could spend more on one pound of chocolate than I spend on groceries for a week.  The host led us to a low table with some very comfortable chairs that we would have killed for a few hours later when our feet were aching from dancing.
Looking over the menu, the decision was extraordinarily difficult to make.  Chocolate Truffle Tart?  White Chocolate Blueberry Bread Pudding?  Decadent Chocolate Brownie?  I couldn’t make a decision!  In the end, my miserly nature kicked in and I ordered a hot chocolate.  How boring is that?  Seriously, I’m confronted with what is quite possibly the most extravagant list of desserts that I could wish for, and I order a hot chocolate?  Ohh, but I don’t regret that decision. 
The hot chocolate came out in white porcelain mugs, topped with a generous helping of real whipped cream and chocolate shavings.  It was frothy and wonderful, so wonderful looking that I whipped out my Iphone to take some pictures and memorize the moment.  And then, I sipped it – smooth, chocolately, with overtones of vanilla, just the right temperature to enjoy. 
Sitting in my comfortable chair, with a cup of hot cocoa goodness, and a good friend to enjoy the evening with, I could only reflect on the joy of life’s simple pleasures.  This was a place where time could stop, and two friends could relax and giggle like little girls pretending to be sophisticates while talking about boys and clothes and books and whatever else girl friends talk about.  It was a with a certain but short lived reluctance that we left Bissinger’s for the rest of our evening’s adventures.


Bissinger’s at Maryland Plaza
Central West End
32 Maryland Plaza
Saint Louis, Missouri 63108

http://www.bissingers.com/

1 comment:

  1. I followed the link and gained 3 pounds looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete